Adding a new canine family member?
Deciding to add a new furry pup into your lives is a 10-15 year commitment, we understand it should not be taken lightly. Here at Enzo’s Acres we do our best to match every family to the dog that will be best for you and best for the dog. When choosing to adopt a dog there are many factors involved. We want every adopter to see the big, longterm picture.
Adopting a Dog?
Questions to think about before adopting a puppy or adult dog.
– Am I in a financial position to afford the dog? If paying an adoption fee seems too much and you want a “free” dog you should probably save up a bit more before making this commitment. Including vetting, food, supplements, training, boarding, and the initial adoption fee along with all the collars, leash, crate, toys….. And the emergency.
– Is everyone onboard in the household that now is the right time to commit to a dog?
– If something happens to me, who will watch my dog, both short term and long term plan?
– What is my daily plan? Where will the dog sleep, eat, hang out when I leave for work.?
– What is my energy level? Do I have time for a puppy (up at night, potty training, chewing up things?). Do I want an active dog who I have to walk/run/hike daily for miles? Or maybe a mellow pup, couch potato?
– If the dog needs training, what is my training plan? How much time do I have to put into training daily?
– What age of a dog is best for me?
Deciding to add a new furry pup into your lives is a 10-15 year commitment, we understand it should not be taken lightly. Here at Enzo’s Acres we do our best to match every family to the dog that will be best for you and best for the dog. When choosing to adopt a rescue dog there are many factors involved. We want every adopter to see the big, longterm picture.
Now that you are all thinking about adopting a dog, what is your next step?
- Search Petfinder, facebook and shelters for the dog who best fits your personality.
- Stay away from CraigsList! You have no way to track the dog/puppy.
- Pick a dog based on how they will fit into your life.
- Don’t pick a dog based on looks!
- Take your time! Ask questions! And be willing to walk away if anything seems off.
- Remember there are a lot of dogs that need homes, whether you adopt from us or another rescue, please do your homework. Check out the rescue, see what they offer and what their policies are with their adopted dogs.
Enzo’s Acres dogs/puppies come from a variety of places. About 90% come from shelters in California, Washington and Oregon, the rest are owner surrender dogs. We do pay shelter fees, that some shelters charge us but we do NOT pay owners for owner surrenders. Every Enzo’s dog is vetted, health checked and lives in a foster home for a minimum of 21 days before ever going up for adoption. We believe in giving a dog some time to acclimate before jumping into more new situations. If a dog needs more time, we give them the time they need. We spay/neuter all dogs over 20 weeks, all dogs are up to date on vaccines and rabies (if over 16 weeks), we also microchip. We also offer training consults with our trainers.
If you have questions about adopting or need help picking the “right” dog, please get in touch. We would love to help! First step is filling out our adoption application to help us match you and your new best friend!